Tamron has announced a new version of the SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 zoom lens for the Full Frame DSLR’s. This new release is a follow-up to 2012’s original 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC version.Tamron claims that with the addition of an MPU specially dedicated to VC processing, this version has the highest vibration compensation (VC) levels and has an image stabilization performance level of 5 stops. This enables photographers to confidently shoot handheld in low light situations.
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Sample Images
The lens has high-precision AF performance; improved autofocus accuracy and speed. Includes an optical construction of 17 elements in 12 groups, including 2 XR (Extra Refractive Index) elements, 3 LD (Low Dispersion) elements, and one hybrid aspherical lens element, ideal for the latest ultra-high-megapixel digital cameras. The eBAND Coating dramatically curbs ghosting and flare that can occur when photographing backlit subjects.
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Specifications
• Lens composition: 12 groups 17 elements
• Diaphragm Blade: 9 (circular stop)
• Minimum shooting distance: 1.25′ (38.10 cm)
• Maximum magnification: 1:5
• Image stabilization effect: 5-stops
• Filter diameter: 82 mm
• Length: 111 mm (for Canon), 108.5 mm (for Nikon)
• Weight: 905 g (for Canon), 900 g (for Nikon)
• Dual MPU (Micro Processing Units) for AF dramatically improves autofocusing accuracy and speed
The Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2 lens will be available in Canon EF and Nikon F mounts, with the Canon version releasing in September and the Nikon arriving earlier in August. Both versions will be priced just under US$1,200.
We are yet to receive real world hands-on reviews about this lens. Till then follow Snapsguru.com for more Tamron news.